Sunday, December 30, 2007

Generation to Generation - The Last Does Not Succeed Without the First

Nearly 100 years ago, my great-great grandfather, Joseph Morgan and his wife Mary attended a tent revival and were exposed to the Apostolic message. A former infantry soldier and veteran of the Spanish-American War, Joe left his successful businesses to his son Arthur and began to pursue the ministry, spreading the Gospel through Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi. In Louisiana, another couple, Edgar and Agnes Davis were attending a small work in the town of Winnsboro. In 1927, Edgar hauled wood using a wagon and mule team from the lumber yard to the site of their new church. During the building process, they opened up their home where they held services on their front porch. How tragic it would be if this is where the story ended.

Because of these two first generations on both sides of my family, there has been a legacy left that leads from them to me. You see, Joe Morgan’s son, Arthur, to whom he left the family businesses to go and preach, eventually answered the call to the ministry as well. He became the Texas District Superintendent, and in 1951 became the General Superintendent of the UPCI until his death in 1967 at General Conference. A.T. Morgan, counseled his future son-in-law, A.W. Buie away from a medical apprenticeship, to pursue the ministry. He married his pastor’s daughter, Gloria and they had 3 sons. One of those boys was Buddy Buie, my father.

On the other side, my mother’s parents, Joel and Gloria Davis still attend the same church that Joel’s father, Edgar helped built. They had 3 daughters, my mother June, Brenda and Jackie. Mom never knew her grandfather, Edgar Davis, for while she was being born in one hospital room, he passed away in the next. But the wheels of influence had already been set in place. Joel went on to help build 3 churches, became the section youth leader and my grandparents house quickly became the house were the youth group gathered. They provided a wholesome and spiritual entertainment for entire youth groups during the teenage years of their daughters. And when I needed encouragement in the darkest times of my life, Joel and Gloria Davis were who I ran to. I could count on them to counsel me and give the comfort and peace that I so desperately needed.

Now as it would turn out, A.W. Buie became the pastor of the local church that Joel Davis and his family attended. And that is where Dad met Mom. After evangelizing while juggling the aspects of a military career, they went on to pastor two churches and still found the time to raise two sons, myself and Jay.

So, now it is up to me. I have to continue to give as so many generations have done before me. Where would I be if it hadn’t been for the first generation? Where would I be today had someone not preached to Joseph Morgan so many years ago? Where would I be if Edgar Davis hadn’t said, “Come over to our house. We can have service there while we are building.”? The heritage that I have to look back on today is not because of some common trait in our family. It is not some gene that has been passed from one man to his great-great grandson. It is because someone shared this Pentecostal experience some 100 years ago. The heritage doesn’t save me, God saves me. I am just extremely fortunate to have had several generations of men and women who let this Apostolic way be the guiding influence in their lives.

You might say, Chris, I don’t have that heritage or history. And I would say neither did Joe Morgan or Edgar Davis. I would say how much more important is it that our first generations, in a time when all aspects of godliness is being attacked, when the definitions of families are being obscured, how important it is that our first generations of Pentecostals anchor themselves to this truth? You have the ability to change the course of your family’s spiritual history.

And it may be other families that you influence as well. Sunday school teachers, which one of your students may be a future youth pastor? Could that packet that we hang on someone’s door bring in the next choir director? Which one of your non-church friends could be the next Frank Loar, Bob Hohlman, or Mark Kopecky? (All first generation ministers who's names would be recognizable to my local assembly)

I would challenge you today that while it is important that we continue to give from one generation to another, how much more important is it that we bring in more first generations. For without first generations, we have no heritage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your last statement about first generations being necessary for an heritage, but remember without future generations following in the same paths, it was just another generation.
For something to be real and of value, it must be shared with some one. A great masterpiece locked up in a private gallary is just for the pleasure of the owner, but if that same masterpiece is put on display to the public, then the masses are blessed with its beauty. The current generations of Mike, Chris, Jaime, Jay, and Jeremy bring hope to my heart for an apostolic church for my grandchildrens' grandchildren.
This great message didn't start in a corner and was never meant to be bashful, The apostles cried out for boldness to preach the word. If there was just one thing I could grant the new generations it would be a holy boldness. Step out and be counted.
In his new book, "The Innocent Man" John Grisham discribes Pentecostal services as "not for the timid." I agree. Salvation is for the bold and the brave and the determined. Hope springs from such small things as a blog about generations!
God bless the future generations with BOLDNESS.
Uncle Jimmy