Thursday, March 20, 2008

Serendipitous Effects

I originally posted this on an apostolic forum to mixed reviews. It was in response to what I thought was a continual deterioration of sound advice given to questions posed about certain tradition and beliefs as it relates to the Apostolic movement.


Let me just preface this with a couple of thoughts. I want it perfectly clear that I am not posting these thoughts out of malice or anger. These emotions are the farthest from my heart as I type this. This post may offend some and for that, please accept my extended virtual arm as an olive branch. If you take the time to read this entire post, God bless you.

I have heard the argument made that no one would possibly change their mind or reform their beliefs due to a forum post or thread. In simple review of that statement, I can concede initially that should be the case. But we must admit that we now live in a world in which the predominately most powerful tool used to gather information is where we are abiding right now, the internet. People are searching for information; people are seeking answers. And we here on ******** are just one portal out of millions that someone may stumble across. Does that make us insignificant? Does that make our opinions and arguments for certain beliefs, established or otherwise, have less weight. I think not. If one person’s faith is uplifted or conversely, undermined by a word or statement, how monumental is that influence?

I have been troubled in the last few days, as I have observed people asking genuine questions regarding certain beliefs, “traditions” or “standards.” You can place your own word there if you feel those are inappropriate. Then I see a rush of posters eager to weigh in with their opinion, either for or against the issue. I have been guilty of this myself. I have been convicted of it. This may surprise some because I usually stand on the more conservative or hard line of things, but most would be equally surprised that I hold some moderate views on issues as well.

God has burdened me with this thought: If I sway someone to a point of view that I feel absolutely biblically correct in, and it shatters their faith in not just their view on that issue, but causes them to question multiple things from whence they received their teaching and instruction, have I done the right thing? If my interpretation of scripture causes someone to review their stance on a certain standard that they have followed by tradition or admonition from another, is it possible that I have caused them to question not just peripheral issues of their upbringing and learning, but also influenced them to look at the core of their beliefs because I provoked in them new thinking? Although highly unlikely, is it valid that I could debate something that is not salvational and cause someone to lose their soul?

God forgive me if I have ever done so. God forgive me if I ever point someone in the wrong direction by arguing my personal convictions. I realize that this may go against some of “usual” ways we go about discussing issues here, but I have laid my heart out today thinking about this and wept as I have typed. I am disturbed when I see us, as a body of believers in the revelation of Jesus Christ, point those to articles whose content chooses to destroy a belief, however correct we may think it to be, but those who are asking for the info run to it for confirmation. I am concerned when we point people to websites that have no edifying qualities for the body, but rather give examples of how the faithful have been trampled or abused. These areas that we point people into may even be factually correct, but ultimately spiritually demoralizing.

So there you have it. I am not sure how this will be received here. I am certainly no a "top" poster here. I may be chastised or some my want to put my head on the chopping block. Whether you and I see eye to eye on everything from cut hair to clean nail polish; whether we are miles apart on TV and tube tops, I hope that I can always remember that we are leading people to Christ and His likeness and not our own.

No comments: