Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I Know Him...Does He Know Me?

Matt 7:23 And then I will profess unto them, I never knew you, depart from me, ye that work iniquity.


It’s a sobering thought. The consideration that one lives his/her life in an ideally “good” manner and that walk is rejected. However, the reality remains that there is a distinction in the act of knowing God and the intimacy of God knowing us. Let me throw out a few things for you to consider, chew on or spit out if that is the case. This is not exhaustive or profound by any means and your feed back is welcome as usual.


The Bible is generous in its use of the phrase “know him.”


Deut 4:35 Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the Lord he is God; there is none else beside him.


David to Solomon: And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and a willing mind…(1 Chronicles 28:9)


1 Cor 2:2 For I am determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.


Philippians 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death.


2 Tim 1:12 …for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.



Perhaps, this is just one reason why the religious world has latched onto this as its unconscious reasoning for lack of a deeper relationship with God; always on the peripherals of what a move of God and a sincere relationship with God encompasses. To put it another way, it is the misconception that an individual’s acceptance of Him is unconditionally honored or reciprocated with God’s acceptance of the individual. It sounds harsh. It sounds cruel. Nevertheless, the offerings of our religious world (call them what you would like…charismatic, emerging, feel gooders) is wrapping its arms around people and convincing them that its our human acceptance that is going to make everything all right. That “knowing Him” and accepting him is what it takes. That is not to say the step of one’s acceptance of God is not necessary. I do not believe I am being contradictory here.


Repentance or confession of one’s sins in consideration for forgiveness is an act of the flesh. Some of you just went bug eyed. That’s ok. God may be working in someone’s life which brings forth conviction. They may hear the Word of God preached and heaviness of heart may result. But the act of repentance in itself is a human response. Yes, it is part of God’s plan, but the action itself is the evidence of a decision made in our mind. I can say the spirit of God moved on me and I felt convicted. Or I might say the sermon this evening pricked my conscience. On the other hand, you won’t hear me say that God made me step into the aisle or walk to an altar. That was a decision I made; an acknowledgement to God (knowing Him and accepting of His Word?) of what I was doing wrong or how I was living was not correct.


This admittance of wrong doing is where many hold their ground, even in maintaining their efforts in God’s kingdom. They endeavor to know him, to know His Word and to live right. But does He know them? I am persuaded that the answer is a resounding NO.


Titus 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient and unto every good work reprobate.


This line of thinking is what results in the cycle of sin and is sometimes unknowingly endorsed (remarkably) in some religious circles. Repeatedly putting one’s self up on the cross does not necessarily make one a martyr. Often times it is just being unwilling to put the body in the grave. I feel the need to emphasize that I am not being contrary to Paul and his remarks about dying out daily. But rather pointing to the existence of a pursuit of the knowledge of Christ and endeavoring to live in morality with out the help of the Comforter which is manifest through God’s acceptance of us.


Nahum 1:7 The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust him.


It’s one thing to know a person. It is another different story entirely to trust them. You would not leave your children with simply a mere acquaintance. Pastors would not open their pulpits to one in whom they did not have confidence, either by intimate familiarity or through the recommendation of trusted sources. The tie that belongs to a man and woman through marriage is a bond that requires each partner to demand reliance and faith of the other. It requires an openness of thoughts, feelings and emotions with an expectation of confidence and security. I submit to you that as an individual seeks the precious gift of the Holy Ghost, he/she makes the ultimate display of dependence on God; a willingness to open one’s heart. In doing so, they surrender and lay aside hesitance and inhibition. When you open up you home to someone new, you do so with expectation that you are not only going to know more about them after the experience, but that they will know more about you also. The difference is that the seeker is asking God to take up residence. “Come into my life. Reside in my heart. Save my soul!” That’s when he knows us! When the Spirit exhibits itself by the infilling of the Holy Ghost, the evidence with speaking in tongues…God moves into the house. He begins an intimate relationship with us. A trust has been born in the individual and the Savior has placed a mark of distinction upon them.


This does not negate the omnipresence of God or the thought that God knows the heart of all men. It does not contradict His love, mercy or grace. Those are still available through forgiveness and the washing away of our sins. But the intimacy of the relationship begins we place the welcome mat at the front of our inner most being and say, “The doors open, Lord. Please come in.” When it counts “in that day,” will I be able to say I fellowshipped with him daily…I let him stay close to me…I protected and fought for our relationship…He knew me?. I am troubled that so many want to know Him…so many want to seek Him. So many will say look what I have done, look what we have done in your name, look how well I knew you…but they never let Him close enough…to know them.


2 Tim 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

No comments: